skip to content

Mayneord Phillips Summer Schools

 

Location

The Queen’s College, Oxford (2012)

The Queen’s College, Oxford was founded in 1341 by Robert de Eglesfield under license from Edward III to construct a collegiate hall under the name of ‘the Hall of the Queen’s Scholars at Oxford’. Parts of the current College date back to the 17th century and replace the earlier medieval College buildings that had fallen into disrepair in the 16th century. The College is one of the oldest constituent Colleges of the University of Oxford.

St Edmund Hall (1999-2009)

Named after St Edmund of Abingdon, Archbishop of Canterbury (1234-40), who had taught there. St Edmund Hall is Oxford's only remaining medieval hall. Part of the present front quadrangle is documented as early as 1272, and is complemented by an interesting ensemble of buildings spanning the 15th to 20th centuries.

St Edmund Hall Oxford


The former parish church of St-Peter-in-the-East, which houses the College Library, has a fine Norman crypt, the oldest in Oxford. From its ancient beginning, the Hall has become one of the largest and most distinguished colleges of the university.

About Us | Site Map | Contact Us | Copyright © 2008 The Mayneord Phillips Trust